Monday 9 June 2014

29th December 2012 04.11 am, a date and time that I will never forget.

After a very difficult and emotional labour Charlie made his entrance into the world.

The room seemed to be full to bursting with medical and nursing staff. They quickly whisked Charlie over to the incubator and started to give life support measures. We had been told that they would assess Charlies lungs first and if they were developed enough  they would be able to ventilate him and this would increase his chances of survival.

I remember standing there willing his little body to keep on fighting and to give us a sign that he was there. At the same time i kept looking over at Carrie as she was still being given treatment by the Drs. I tried not to cry but seeing my grandson come into this world and then watching him give such a fight to survive proved too much. It was a very strange feeling, I felt so proud of Carrie and was amazed at watching Charlie being born but I was also feeling immense pain inside as I didn't know if he was going to make it.

I kept hearing myself saying 'come on Charlie, you can do it'. I was looking at all of the staff trying to see if i could make out how he was doing but things were so busy.

I then remember one of the doctors coming over to us, she wasn't smiling, she spoke calmly to Carrie and said that Charlies lungs just were not strong enough. She said they would make Charlie comfortable and bring him over for Carrie to cuddle him.

Her bravery and calmness at hearing this still astounds me, she just wanted to hold her son. Charlie was bought over wrapped warmly with a little white hat on his head. They placed him on Carrie and just at that moment he opened his eyes. It was as if he knew he was now safe with his mummy and could relax.

At 04.30 am Charlie passed away safe in his mummy's arms.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Charlies-Angel-Centre.org.uk