Monday 1 December 2014

Today is the 1st of December, the first day of advent. 

The start of the Christmas season.

Today is the day when millions of children all over the world get excited about opening the first door on their advent calendars.

The excitement on their faces as they wait to see what picture will be revealed and what shape their chocolate will be.

As each day passes they never lose that excitement of opening the next door.

With each door their excitement builds as they count down the days for the arrival of the 'Big Man in Red'.

My 3 granddaughters were getting very excited yesterday at the prospect of starting their calendars off, even the 9 month old was dancing and giggling when she was shown hers. 

This is how it should be and I love to see the excitement in their eyes.

This is the season of goodwill and happiness and whilst I do get excited for my 3 beautiful granddaughters I also feel immense sorrow for my handsome little grandson who will not get to open an advent calendar. 

He will never have the excitement of writing his letter to Santa and waiting eagerly for his reply, we will not get to see him ripping open his presents and laughing as he plays with them all. 

Growing up I always used to love the run up to Christmas and knowing that all the family would come together over Christmas to share time together. We never had much money but I always remember it being a happy and magical time.

Christmas now feels different.

I want to get excited and enjoy the family time that happens.

I do enjoy the family time that happens but there always feels like someone is missing.

For the last 2 Christmas's I have bought myself and my husband an advent calendar. I think I have done this as my way of  having one for Charlie. I hope he see's us opening them.

I hope every child out there enjoys opening their calendars, writing their wish list and opening their presents.

I also hope that all our angels can see us remembering them and honouring them over the Christmas period. 

We always remember them but at this time of year when the focus is on children it makes us think of them even more, if that is possible.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Charlies-Angel-Centre.org.uk